Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mud Slingin Part 2

Last month I finished my first pottery class and since then I have went through about 75lbs of clay. I have produced a lot of mistakes and many things that have fallen apart in the process. I'm actually fine with that. I secretly told myself I could screw up 4 boxes (I have now purchased my 4th box) of clay before I expected to produce quality items. I finally had a few pieces that I felt were worthy to make it to the next step, bisque firing. I had forgotten about the other pieces I glazed the last night of my class and this was a nice surprise! It gave me  renewed hope to see some items I made and to be half way pleased with them.


I actually have 6 pieces but I wasn't crazy about two of them so they may need to be turned into mosaics (hint hint Jil) by the end of summer. A medium size bowl, a tiny cup, small plate and a something or other. I really don't have any idea what the clover shaped dish is but I like its uniqueness. I guess it could be an earring holder or useless ditty.

I've learned a few things, and I'm not talking about how to do pottery, clearly that still needs some work. Give yourself a learning curve when trying something new, messing up is part of the learning process. Don't be afraid to let the medium guide you instead of the other way around and accept the tiny victories as well as the colossal failures.


1 comment:

  1. These are awesome!! I think you have definitely earned a 5th and 6th box of clay with the way these turned out. I think the clover bowl looks like it would make a fun candy/nut dish. I can't wait to see your next creations. Your "crafty" lessons are important things to know as well. Thanks for sharing them.
    ~Jil

    ReplyDelete